13 December 2017
27 November 2017
The European Commission today proposed new security standards for online payments in a bid to cut the growing level of fraud that consumers are experiencing.
20 November 2017
Our work areas
Across the EU, consumers are left with serious concerns about the future of their personal deposits and savings, loans and pensions – a problem aggravated by the economic crisis. This same crisis has shown that financial supervision authorities were not capable of detecting the risks of evermore complex products accurately and adopting the necessary measures to avoid this crisis. Therefore, it is essential to restore consumer confidence, and protect all European consumers at national and cross-border level.
Another concern in this context is the availability and accessibility of financial services along with the need to tackle financial exclusion.
An Internal Market of financial services does not exist yet - it is still nearly impossible to open a current account or a simple savings account in another Member State if not resident there. Even if there are major differences in interest rates between Member States from which consumers could benefit, it is almost impossible to obtain credit in another Member State.
Finally, consumer choice in the area of financial services is impeded both by a clear lack of independent advice on financial services and complex and not comparable pre-contractual information.
If you want to discover how EU laws protect consumers in this area, don’t miss the Consumer Champion Financial Services e-learning course.
- Strengthen regulation and supervision for retail financial services
- Decrease financial exclusion and guarantee the right of consumers to have access to basic banking services
- Make essential payment services efficient, fair, affordable and secure
- Ensure information on financial services is easy to understand and comparable – also across borders – and that advice on financial services is affordable and reliable
- Advocate for financial services suitable for those who buy them