EKPIZO was established in 1988 with the aim of protecting consumer rights and improving quality of life. It is a non-governmental, non-profit making association.
Specific consumer legislation only permits income from membership fees, subsidies/grants from national-EU or other public institutions, collective actions, professional or scientific associations.
EKPIZO policy areas include legal, financial, insurance, health, food, energy, environment, safety and consumer education issues; however, the degree of occupation with each one differs significantly, with a greater emphasis over the last 10 years on legal and financial themes.
- 2001-2019: 58 collective actions against 84 private companies for misleading advertising-unfair contract terms-violation of the Consumer Protection Law. Out of the 49 heard, we won 43, a fact that, among other, have led to consumer friendly jurisprudence and higher consumer protection level in Greece.
- 1992-2019: Extrajudicial and judicial actions resulting in the return of Euros over 21 million to consumers
- 2019: Law modification for Intellectual Property Rights that allows generics to be puton the market although the original drugs patent is still in force.
- 2017: Meeting with the President of Greek Republic on the fight against the rational use of antibiotics
- 18/10/2013-22/12/2013: International campaign (65 days) for the continuation of the home foreclosures’ ban. Over 150,000 people from all over the globe signed our petition and their signatures were delivered to the Vice-President of the Parliament. By ending 2013, government decided to prolong foreclosures ban for one year.
- June 2010: National campaign (30 days) for the adoption of a law on consumer insolvency. 4,246 people signed our petition and their signatures were sent by e-mail to the Prime Minister and other competent ministers. The relevant law was adopted after 30 days.
- 2012-2013: Interlocutor with European Commission’s Task Force for Greece and EP Committees for the current problems Greek consumers face because of the financial and economic crisis
- 2011-2016: Interlocutor with the EU-European Central Bank-IMF Working Group on household over-indebtedness
- 2008: Boycott against companies selling fresh milk over €1/lit. Its high publicity and consumer participation attracted the attention of the President of Greek Republic who invited E.K.PI.ZO to an official meeting